135 Harbour Drive
St. John's, NL
St. John's, NL
Recommended, (709) 726-4534
www.kegsteakhouse.comI've always enjoyed going to the Keg, since my very first time there when I was still in University to a few weeks ago when Josh and I joined two friends there for a double date. This trip was a bit of fun, because we hadn't really eaten out with these friends before, and we were also privy to an employee discount (compliments of said friends!)
The weather was mild so we walked down, the four of us together. We had a good waitress and left full and satisfied. The only portion of the night I wish was different was our proximity to the kitchen. We could see straight in and it was a bit noisy, but this to me is immediately blocked out once food is put in front of me, so it really wasn't all too bad.
Here's what we ordered:
- Ashley & Josh Shared Appetizer: CRAB, PARMESAN & SPINACH DIP: Crab, aged Parmesan and spinach, with crispy chips ($9.95)
- Michael & Sara Shared Appetizer: BAKED GOAT CHEESE: Warm goat cheese coated in crushed almonds, with tomato basil salsa ($8.95)
- Ashley Entree: TOP SIRLOIN AND CRAB: Naturally grilled sirloin with King Crab Legs ($37.95)
- Josh Entree: ATLANTIC LOBSTER TAILS: Two succulent Atlantic lobster tails with butter for dipping ($40.95 )
- Sara Entree: PECAN SIRLOIN Grilled top sirloin, basted and coated in chopped pecans. Topped with crumbled goat cheese ($23.95)
- Michael Entree: BLEU CHEESE FILET: Filet Mignon wrapped in applewood smoked bacon and grilled to your liking. Covered in a golden brown Bleu cheese crust, and sprinkled with roasted garlic cloves ($31.95 )
The boys each orderd a coffee with their meals, and we skipped out on any wine this time for a change. I have been enjoying seafood more and more this past year and I think the next time I eat out anywhere "fancy" I am going to order a lobster tail for myself for the first time and give it a go.
Afterwards, we all walked back up some steep streets to Michael and Sara's house where we drank some QV Eric's Red beers and played Rock Band for a few hours. We walked home because it was still really nice out. All in all, a great night!
I won't mention the total discounted price, that's for M&S to disclose if they so wish, but let's just say it was excellent ;)
Here are some photo's from the meal:
|Crab Dip! As with most of our Restaurant photos, they usually come out dark due to low-light.|
|Baked Goat Cheese|
|My Surf and Turf with Garlic mash|
|Josh's enormous Lobster Tails with Twice Baked Spud|
|Sara's Pecan Sirloin with Goat Cheese (I was close to ordering this, too!)|
|Michael's Bleu Cheese Fillet|
160 Water Street
St. John's, NL
St. John's, NL
Call at: (709) 754-6444
I have been to Oliver's twice before: once with my friends for supper back when I was in high school, and once two summers ago with Josh and his family for lunch. Both times it was excellent. The first time I ordered the Burbon Glazed Chicken, and the second time I can't even remember what it was, but I know it was delicious, I think it was a panini.
This time we went with Josh's parents Sheila and Boyce to celebrate their anniversary. I called up about 2 days in advance and we were really lucky to get the big booth at their restaurant. It was a nice circular one, and it dipped into the wall a bit further than the other standard square booths. The lighting was great too. One of the features of the restaurant is that they boast a really good selection of wines. They are located on a wall that spans one entire side of the restaurant. On top of the wine wall there is about a foot and a half of space where they keep all of their wine corks from bottles that patrons have ordered - there has to be thousands of them up there.
Our server was excellent, though she seemed to stumble over her words a tiny bit, maybe she was new. She brought us our wine promptly and was back and forth to us just enough to not be intruding.
Here's what we ordered:
- Ashley Appetizer: Almond Baked Goats Cheese: flamed tomato basil salsa, toasted baguette, balsamic reduction ($12)
- Josh Appetizer: Newfoundland Crab Cakes: Snow crab, citrus aioli, organic green accents ($13)
- Sheila Appetizer: Soup of the Day: Carrot and Fennel ($5)
- Boyce Appetizer: French Onion Soup: Caramelized red onions, beef broth, homemade croutons, Provolone, baked ($6)
- Ashley Entree: Seafood Platter: Steamed mussels, pan seared cod, salmon, shrimp, scallops, butter poached baby potatoes ($26)
- Josh Entree: Roasted Rack of Lamb: New Zealand spring lamb, Dijon herb rub, honey mint vinaigrette, roasted garlic whipped potatoes ($32)
- Sheila Entree: Atlantic Salmon: Cajun seared with grilled pineapple salsa and butter poached baby potatoes ($22)
- Boyce Entree: Striploin Steak: 10oz AAA Alberta, char-grilled to specification, roasted garlic whipped potatoes with house made sweet bourbon glaze ($32)
- Shared Desserts: Newfoundland Berry Cheesecake: Creamy smooth cheesecake topped with wild Newfoundland blueberries and partridgeberries($8.... we ordered 2!)
As you will see with the photos below, it's no wonder I was stuffed and had to take the salmon and veggies of my entree home with me. I even shared a lot of my appetizer, but it was still so much! Both were absolutely delicious.
The cheesecake had to be the biggest slice I'd ever seen (with the exception of Chocolate Eruption, because that cake is just rediculous). It wasn't so much wide as it was high, this thing was gigantic! It wasn't overly sweet either, just really cheesy. The berry mixture was nice and tart, hardly any sweetness to that either, it was a really refreshing cake especially because of the mint leaves (I ate most of them hehe!) The waitress later told us that they had someone different that usual making the cakes for that night, and that they were much bigger than normal, we were not upset that we chose this night to come!
Total: $244 before tip with wine, beers and coffees. Worth every penny!
|Baked Goat Cheese - The tomatoes were AMAZING|
|French Onion Soup|
|Josh is making a cameo in the wine glass|
|The amount of food on this plate is staggering. I'm reminded of the episode of the Simpsons when Homer sings "Under the Sea" and eats all of the sea creatures.|
|Josh's Mammoth Rack of Lamb - He was super excited for it!|
|Blackened Salmon - the pineapple salsa was really nice. The potatoes were butter poached, then roasted (all of our meals except Josh's came with them and they were also great!)|
|Boyce's Steak - look at the size of that thing!!!|
|I could eat this picture|
80 Kenmount Road
St. John's, NL
St. John's, NL
Hard to get, not always offered, (709) 754-1111
Our trip to Montana’s for supper on April 7th was a spur of the moment decision. I had an interview that day for a new job and had received a call for another interview with a different company on the same day – so I was in a good mood and wanted to enjoy some food. We called up a few friends and luckily they had no plans so they joined us. Here’s what we ordered:
- Shared Appetizer: For a starter we used a coupon for some free Oven Baked Antojitos and shared them amongst the four of us. They are really yummy: cheesy, spicy and very tasty!
- Ashley Entree: Chipotle Buffalo Chicken sandwich... I swapped out the wing sauce for Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce, with fries on the side.
- Josh Entree: Big and Bold Brisket Burger with a side Garden Salad.
- Guest 1 Entree: Roasted Turkey Club with a side of Sweet Potato fries.
- Guest 2 Entree: BBQ Beef Brisket with Mashed Potato and Gravy.
- Shared Dessert: Shake ‘N Share Mini Donuts.
I love cheese, especially warm cheese. In the past I have ordered the antojitos at Montana's and I've liked them every time. They're creamy and satisfying when you are extra hungry before a meal, and want a more filling appetizer. So don't order them if you're not starving or not sharing them, because you won't likely be able to eat your whole entree if you do. I have been disappointed in the past with buffalo chicken sandwiches so I have started asking for BBQ sauce on my chicken burgers instead of wing sauce. It's like eating a yummy boneless BBQ wing on a bun - so tasty. I also ordered a drink called a Maple Whiskey Sour, which went excellently with the donuts, as well as on its own. Josh loved his brisket burger, and I snuck some of his crispy onions for my own chicken burger ;) Our friends told us about the amazing donut dessert they had there in the past, so we decided to split an order between us all and it was well worth it. It was a perfect portion size after eating a meal and splitting an appetizer, there were 2 donuts for each of us, with 2 different sauces to choose from for dipping. I think we all agreed that the caramel sauce outweighed the chocolate fudge sauce in terms of taste, but both tasted great (I dipped one of my donuts in both sauces together - YUM!).
The server we had was great, too! His voice reminded me of Ty Pennington from Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. He was very enthusiastic and made us laugh a lot.
Total: $11 with free appetizer coupon and $25 gift card, before tip. Our guests picked up the donuts with their bill - Thanks!
Here are some photos below, the captions come from the menu...
Chipotle Buffalo Chicken – a smoky chipotle-breaded chicken breast covered in Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce and served on a toasted Kaiser with lettuce, tomato and mayo.
Big and Bold Brisket Burger – a sirloin burger piled with beef brisket, crispy Cajun onions, melted cheddar cheese and Texas bold BBQ sauce.
Roasted Turkey Club – fresh cut slices of oven-roasted turkey breast with bacon, lettuce, tomato, Colby cheese and mayo.
|BBQ Beef Brisket – a half pound of “melt-in-your-mouth”, slow-smoked beef brisket tossed in Texas bold BBQ sauce served on a toasted Kaiser.|
Shake ‘N Share Mini Donuts – eight warm mini donuts cooked fresh to order and tossed in powdered sugar right at our table. Served with hot caramel and chocolate fudge sauces.